Danny Resendes' Blog
Having a beautiful home is wonderful, but having a beautiful home with an elegant and functional kitchen is fantastic. Updated kitchen décor and finishes are an on-trend way to create a warm gathering place for friends and family. A real wood countertop is a top option for perfecting the natural kitchen décor motif.
Wooden Countertop Styles
There are distinctive styles of wooden countertop materials available, and each serves a different purpose and esthetic.
Butcher Block Countertops: For countertop that allows you to slice and cut directly on the surface, the butcher block is your best choice. The wood is two to three inches thick of alternating species and can withstand damage from chopping and dicing with proper care. Available in various wood mixtures as end-grain and edge-grain, its hardness and color options make it easier to choose the one that fits into your kitchen theme.
Reclaimed Wood Countertops: For people who appreciate the rustic look, a repurposed wood countertop is a great option. Currently among the trending countertops, reclaimed wood is relatively simple to find and source locally. Most reclaimed wood countertops come from recycled or discarded wood.
Live Edge Wood Countertops: Made from planed but not trimmed raw wood, a live edge countertop retains the original shape of the tree. The unique thing about this countertop is its rustic and uncommon look; it curves inward in some areas and rounds out in others, giving your kitchen or bar area a beautiful and unique look.
Solid Wood Countertops: The solid wood countertop option works well with all kitchen designs, creating a timeless and traditional look for your kitchen. Thick planks of mahogany, walnut, knotty alder, or other hardwoods waterproofed with acrylic polyurethane come in flat, dull, satin, and semi-gloss finishes for an elegant addition to your countertops.
Your Choice of Wood
Ensure that the design, grain, and finish of the wooden countertop you choose is appropriate for its purpose. Hardwood like maple, teak, oak, chestnut, and mahogany make great countertop material, especially if you intend to chop and slice directly on the counter surface. For a more sustainable option, bamboo, while not technically wood, is an attractive and durable choice.
Your kitchen countertop has a significant impact on the look and feel of your room. For best results, consult with or hire a professional contractor who is knowledgeable about the installation process for these unique surfaces.
You’ve probably heard how important it is to go hands-free in your car, but it can be just as important and useful to be hands-free in the kitchen. If you’re busy washing dishes or prepping for dinner, you can use hands free devices to do everything from answering calls to looking up recipes and preheating the oven. While kitchen appliances haven’t progressed to the point of actually making dinner for you, they can definitely help cut down on the mess.
Top Hands-Free Choices
- Touchless Trash Can – while a foot pedal trash can is a bit cheaper and takes care of most of the same issues, germs can still build up on the pedal itself. A true touchless trashcan has a motion sensor and opens when you wave your hand in front of it like a touchless hand dryer. Some are even smart enough to hook up to your tablet or phone with an app that accepts voice commands.
- Hands-Free Paper Towel Dispenser – Most of the time, when you need a paper towel, your hands are already wet or messy. That means you leave those germs or water on the side of your dispenser each time you grab a paper towel. An easy fix is a hands-free paper towel dispenser that pushes a towel towards you on command. This helps reduce your paper towel waste as well as keeping your kitchen cleaner.
- Motion Sensor Faucet – You can have a sink faucet in your home with the same technology you find in public bathrooms. That means no chicken goo or frosting gets left on the handles. Wi-Fi Appliances – A wide variety of kitchen appliances such as dishwashers, refrigerators and ovens are now available in versions that connect over Wi-Fi to your other devices. That often means you can now control them with voice commands. Ever been partially through your prep work and realize you forgot to pre-heat the oven? Instead of taking the time and water to wash your hands, turn on the oven, then get back to work, you can just say “preheat oven to 400 degrees” and get on with what you were doing.
Smart appliances are a great selling point for a new home, and the small difference in cost can make a big difference in home value. Talk to your real estate agent today to help figure out what the best options are before you invest in that new smart kitchen.
As a homeowner you know there is a lot of upkeep that goes into maintaining a nice home. From weekly cleaning to monthly home maintenance, you put in time, money and effort to give yourself the home life experience you desire. The best living environment to come home to is one that is clean and smells fresh. Try these three easy products to help your home on a daily basis.
Maintaining a home that smells good can be tough. Especially if you live with a family or housemates. There are a lot of different scents, messes, cleaning products and more going on at the same time. Scent diffusers come in all different styles and sizes and can be used throughout the house to give your home consistently fresh and odor-free air. Try a refillable spraying deodorizer in areas of high traffic, or in the mudroom where you leave all the shoes. Use melted wax diffusers in living rooms and bedrooms to add a touch of décor while emitting scent.
Finally, use oil diffusers in the bathroom to fight odors.TIP: If you can purchase different styles of diffusers that can support scents by the same brand(s) you can use the same smells throughout the house, or at least in adjacent rooms where two conflicting smells might overlap and combine poorly.
Toilet Tank Tabs
One of the biggest pains in keeping a house clean is the toilet. It is an area that always needs attention, especially if you live with others. While you’ll never be able to skip the weekly bathroom cleaning, using cleaning tabs in the toilet tank will help immensely on a daily basis. These tabs contain chemicals to combat bacteria, hard water and stains.
You can normally buy a small pack that lasts a couple months or get great deals on bulk packs that will last you all year. Simply drop the tab in the back of the tank, and the toilet gets a little extra cleaning help with every flush. This will help keep the bathroom cleaner and smelling better every day.
Robot Vacuum Cleaner
While this purchase can drastically vary in price, it is an excellent investment that saves you time while helping maintain the home. You can spring for an expensive robot vacuum, but there are plenty of affordable options as well. Having a device that cleans the house while you’re gone or working on other projects is a huge help.
If you have children, pets or housemates it cuts down drastically on the dirt, debris and hair floating around the place. With the help of a robot vacuum you can reduce your sweeping, vacuuming and mopping needs without sacrificing cleanliness.
By making smart home purchases, you can increase your quality of living without breaking the budget or your back cleaning. Ask your real estate agent for advice on the best purchases to keep your home beautiful for your next showing.
Grilled foods taste much better and are healthier than foods cooked using most other methods. With a few grill marks, meats look even better and more appealing to devour. Are you uncertain as to whether you should have a BBQ grill at home? You surely do need them and here are some reasons to convince you:
- Less fat. With a BBQ grill, you are sure to have less fat in your meats compare to frying or even baking. As you grill, the fats drip off the food, without affecting its juiciness and flavor. Healthy eating is one of the significant health benefits of having a BBQ grill at home.
- Fun parties. If you have a BBQ grill and a pool, then your party is good to go. You can have an instant party with these twos. The feeling of grilling outdoors and swimming is just terrific. The adults can have a barbecued chicken while they watch the kids play in the pool.
- Lower electricity bills. When you cook in your kitchen, the air heats up, urging you to tune up the air-conditioner, thereby using more energy and cost. With a BBQ grill, you don’t need to worry about all that. You can grill outside and save yourself the huge bill that comes at months’ end.
- Great taste. Well, this is one of the top reasons people own a grill, to have the most magnificent tasty meals. There is a unique flavor that meats get when they are cooked over a grill.
- Flexible cooking. You probably know that meats and vegetables taste amazing when grilled. Do you also know that fruits, pizza, and avocados taste even more insane when grilled? With a grill, the sky is merely your starting point. You can cook virtually anything over a grill. Get creative, gather your friends and family and have a great time together.
- Clean kitchen. For most people, this is the ideal reason to get a BBQ grill, to take nights off from scrubbing pots and pans. Although you will have to scrub down your grill periodically, however, it is nothing compared to the kitchen. There isn't much work there, brush off the grates after use and you're done.
There are huge reasons why a BBQ grill is a must-have in every home, tons of them. If you’re yet to find a hobby, then get a grill and start preparing meals for your family. Order a grill today, and you won't regret it.
Technology is getting smarter. Nowadays it seems everything has AI built-in. And why not? It makes your home have a clever assistant in every room of your home without the expense of paying hourly wages. Here’s how to have a smarter kitchen, because let’s be honest this is the room where we can always use an extra set of hands.
The Mr.Coffee coffee pot can start from your phone. Let’s be honest the alarm feature most pots boast are great… but not everyone has the same schedule every day. This pot allows you to create a custom schedule that matches your own. Have a fresh, hot cup waiting for you right when you get out of bed when you wake up at 5 am on a Monday and 7 on a Wednesday.
Want more control of your appliances from your phone? Crock-pot now has a slow cooker you can adjust settings with from your phone. Control temperature and cook times from anywhere so if you’re running late getting home it won’t be too an overcooked meal.
Both the Mr.Coffee and Crock Pot devices run off of Wemo technology. While both of these devices have built-in tech that doesn't mean the fun has to end there. Wemo offers devices you can plug into any outlet so you can control any appliance from your phone. With the Wemo app set lights to turn on for your family to come home to a well lit welcoming home even on a Winter night.
You can also use Google Assistant, Alexis or Siri (with the necessary extender) to control these devices and even set timers and reminders. Ask your smart speaker to set a timer for dinner, add an item to your grocery list or that you want to use that hamburger in the freezer by Friday. You can even ask for help with ingredient conversions. If you like to listen to music while cooking you don’t need to worry about touching controls if you want to skip a song, turn the music down or up. Just ask your assistant to do it for you, and it will happily oblige.
Have fun with your pooch from anywhere with the Furbo camera. With camera, access make sure your dog isn’t up to no good while you’re away. Use the microphone to remind them the rules still apply while you are away. The best part, however, is that you can reward them for being well-behaved, or cute, with the built-in treat dispenser.
Keep your home safe with the Nest Protect system, a smart smoke, and carbon monoxide alarm. This alarm alerts your phone as soon as it detects signs of danger. It also warns you with a human-like voice when the alarm is about to go off so you aren’t startled by the typical high pitched screaming of alarms.